- St. Georg
- Altes Rathaus und Haus der Geschichte
- Neues Rathaus
- Geburtshaus von Christoph von Schmid
- Museum 3. Dimension
Dinkelsbühl’s town fortification is a perfectly preserved 2,5 km long circular wall with 4 big gates and 16 towers.
Dinkelsbühl’s market square lies at the feet of the minster. There are wonderful townhouses from the renaissance all around.
Dinkelsbühl’s St. Georg Minster is located at the market square and was built from 1448 to 1499 by architect Nikolaus Eselers in a late gothic style. It is one of the most beautiful hall churches in southern Germany.
Dinkelsbühl’s St. Pauls Protestant Church was built from 1840 to 1843 on the site of the Carmelites’ convent church in a historic style. The convent was founded by the Würzburg Carmelites in 1290. Under Napoleon I. around 1800 the building became property of the Teutonic Order. In 1809 it was sold to the protestant community. Nowadays the building houses a music academy.
Dinkelsbühl’s Dreikönigskapelle (Three Kings Chapel) is at the town wall near the Segringer Gate. The building was mentioned in an official document for the first time in 1378. Today it is used as a war memorial chapel.
Dinkelsbühl’s former Capuchin convent can be found during a tour of the town walls. It was built by mendicants in 1622 and consecrated to St. Francis in 1628. The convent was closed in 1802 as part of the secularization process.
Altes Rathaus und Haus der Geschichte
The Old Town Hall in Dinkelsbühl is located near the Priesterviertel (“Priest quarter”). It was built in 1361 by city patricians. In the years 1524 to 1550 the original building block was extended by wings. The town hall functioned there until 1855. Today the building houses the city’s Historical Museum, the House of History and the Tourist Information Bureau. The Museum displays the city’s over 800 years of the history, including the different crafts and local customs, in an exciting manner.
The new town hall of Dinkelsbühl was built in 1733 as the private residence of postmaster, senator and future burgomaster Bauer. On its front there is a banner with a line from the city’s so-called “Richtungsbrief” , which was used by the trade guilds in the year 1387 to gain equal status and participation in the city council. The building has been housing the town administration since 1855.
Dinkelsbühl’s baroque Deutschordenschloss (Castle of the Teutonic Order) is at the end of Klostergasse. It was built around 1350. At first, the building stood next to the spital. In 1390 the Deutschordensschloss was moved to its current location during the city’s expansion. In 1764 it was rebuilt in the baroque style.
Geburtshaus von Christoph von Schmid
The house of Christoph von Schmid’s birth is located in Dinkelsbühl. Born in 1768, Christoph von Schmid became famous for his lyrics to the 1827 Christmas carol “Ihr Kinderlein Kommet”.
The Kornscheune (corn barn) in Dinkelsbühl is a timber frame construction from 1508. It was originally used to store corn. In 1938 it was turned into a juvenile home and during World War II it served as a military hospital. In 1952 it was again turned into a youth hostel which is still functioning.
Museum 3. Dimension
There is quite an exceptional museum in Dinkelsbühl, the world’s first 3-D museum. The 3. Dimension Museum is located at the Nördlinger Gate in the medieval water mill. The museum houses historic and modern objects related to the third dimension theme.